I-1185 is the latest tax-limiting effort from Tim Eyman. (See I-1053 from the 2010 election.) I-1185 re-affirms a two-thirds vote requirement for the state Legislature to raise taxes.
According to the Living Voter’s guide, I-1185 restate existing statutory requirements that legislative actions raising taxes must be approved by two-thirds legislative majorities or receive voter approval, and that new or increased fees require majority legislative approval.
For full text of initiative, visit the Living Voters guide located at the Washington Secretary of State’s Elections & Voting site.
- Tied to I-1053 (nick-named “son of I-1053” by Tim Eyman) approved in 2010 which is currently under legal challenge
- Tim Eyman (sponsor)
- Mike Fagan
- BP Oil
- Conoco Phillips
- Beer Institute
- Association of Washington Business PAC
- Washington Restaurant Association
- Washington Retail Association
- Liberty Initiative Fund
- Phillips 66
- Washington State Farm Bureau
- Western Petroleum Marketers Association
- Yakima Valley Growers-Shippers Association
- Steve Zemke, Chair of King County Democrats
- No on 1185 Committee
- Permanent Defense Org.